3 quick facts to help you understand the importance of images
- 90% of the data transmitted by the human brain is visual
- The human brain takes about 15 seconds to update information from visual experiences.
- The recall value of visual content is 65%, while that of written text is only 10%.
The majority of searches come from mobile. Thus, it is important for websites to offer a fast and pleasant user experience.
With this in mind, let’s analyze the importance of optimizing images for SEO. To do this, we will review the different image formats and their impact.
On average, images represent 21% of the weight of a page
What can image optimization do for my users?
- Reduce the loading speed of your website, decrease the bounce rate and improve site retention.
- Improve the loading speed of your website. This factor is important for Google’s ranking.
- It helps to improve the ranking of your keywords.
- Helps in reverse image search. This will add great value to your website.
With all this in mind, let’s now analyze the different image formats and their impact on SEO.
Does the image name affect SEO?
How Image Formats Affect SEO
We don’t advise using JPGs for files like logos or icons. They don’t support transparency and have trouble with sharp edges because they can become blurry. JPGs are best used for backdrops or full-page hero images because they maintain their clarity and sharpness on larger screens while reducing page load time.
We recommend using JPEG for photos and PNG for almost everything else
GIF: GIF has become a staple of social media and internet culture. It has taken over the web and is the most used picture format for adding personality to articles.
How to Optimize Images for Better SEO
Understandable image URL structure
Dimension and Weight
It is important to understand the difference between Alt Text and the image title. Remember, they are not the same. The image title is the name and the Alt Text is its description.
To understand this even better, let’s use an example. Let’s imagine a photo of Central Park, in New York.
The photo is composed of hundreds of people walking around, huge trees, and various shops. The name of the image can be “Central Park – New York” but its Alt Text would have to describe the scene: “Central Park in New York with people walking around”.